On Wednesday, July 15, the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) said its Board has approved a total of 50 new projects with investments reaching PHP22.5 billion last July 10.

Of the 50 projects, 33 are expansion projects of its locators which registered a total of PHP13.8-billion investments.

17 newly-registered projects amounting in PHP8.7 billion worth of investments were economic zone development.

40 of the total new projects will be located in Luzon, 6 in Visayas, and 4 in Mindanao.

About 44% of the total investments are from Philippine companies with the remaining 56% from foreign investors which include Australia, China, Japan, Singapore, and the United States.

“The approval of new projects and investments is the agency’s positive action to continuously support the Philippine economy in our endeavor to maintain our competitiveness for investments despite the impact of COVID-19,” PEZA Director General Charito Plaza said.

With countless Filipinos losing their jobs as a result of the pandemic, these latest investment approvals in PEZA comes at a much needed time as it will create 8,917 new jobs.

“COVID-19 cannot stop PEZA in performing its mandate to register, manage, and operate public and private economic zones in the country. PEZA continues to attract investors to come and invest to the Philippines despite the crisis,” Plaza added.

As of January of this year, a total of 1.56 million jobs were created in PEZA and exports revenue reached USD4.4 billion.

Balikbayan Media Center
Balikbayan Media Center

Balikbayan Magazine's Media Center serves an audience in 60 countries and 101 cities throughout the World to ignite, drive, and fuel the economic development, progression, and modernisation of the Philippines. Our Media Center curates only the most critical, vital, useful, entertaining, and sometimes amusing information released from both the public and private sector. Our editorial team strongly believes that a well-rounded and well-informed society is a thriving society.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Spotlighting the growth, development, and progression of the Philippines since 2009. Balikbayan Magazine is a publication of the Asian Journal Media Group.