The Department of Trade and Industry’s Bureau of Philippine Standards (DTI-BPS) encourages local companies to implement Environmental Management System (EMS) requirements within their organizations to reduce the impact of their operations on the environment. The call is in view of the celebration of World Environment Day (WED), celebrated on June 5 of each year. WED is the United Nations’ (UN) day to promote awareness and action for the protection of our environment.
To make access to Environmental Management System (EMS) standards more convenient to domestic enterprises, the DTI-BPS, as the country’s National Standards Body (NSB), has adopted and approved as Philippine National Standards (PNS) the following standards developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO):
- PNSISO 14001:2015 Environmental management systems – Requirements with guidance for use (ISO Published 2015)
- PNS ISO 14004:2016 Environmental management systems – General guidelines on implementation (ISO Published 2016)
- PNSISO 14005:2019 Environmental management systems – Guidelines for the phased implementation of an environmental management system, including the use of environmental performance evaluation (ISO Published 2010)
- PNS ISO 14015:2011 Environmental management – Environmental assessment of sites and organizations (EASO) (ISO Published 2001)
- PNS ISO 14031:2016 Environmental management – Environmental performance evaluation – Guidelines (ISO Published 2013)
- PNS ISO 14033:2019 Environmental management – Quantitative environmental information – Guidelines and examples (ISO Published 2019)
- PNS ISO 14034:2016 Environmental management – Environmental technology verification (ETV) (ISO Published 2016)
- PNS ISO 14040:2011 Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework (ISO Published 2006)
- PNSISO 14044:2011 Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Requirements and guidelines (ISO Published 2006)
- PNS ISO 14046:2016 Environmental management – Water footprint – Principles, requirements and guidelines (ISO Published 2014)
- PNS ISO/TS 14048:2011 Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Data documentation format (ISO Published 2002)
- PNS ISO 14050:2011 Environmental management – Vocabulary (ISO Published 2009)
- PNS ISO 14051:2011 Environmental management – Material flow cost accounting – General framework (ISO Published 2011)
- PNS ISO/TR 14062:2011 Environmental management – Integrating environmental aspects into product design and development (ISO Published 2002)
With the national adoption of these ISO standards, the documents become more affordable for Filipino companies, particularly the MSMEs. DTI- BPS Director Neil P. Catajay further explains, “The benefits of having an Environmental Management System (EMS) in place is not limited to the environmental aspect but stretches to enhancing organizational processes and gaining good corporate reputation within the industry. By having the EMS standards easily available, the DTI-BPS is able to contribute not only assistance to local industry players to attain those advantages but also in improving the environment.”
The above-mentioned Philippine National Standards (PNS) are available for purchase at the BPS Standards Data Center. Please call (02) 7791.3127 or email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
For updates and more information on Standards, Technical Regulations and Conformity Assessment Procedures (STRACAP), please visit the BPS Standards and Conformance Portal at www.bps.dti.gov.ph and follow our social media pages. For inquiries, please email the DTI-BPS through its official email address: email@example.com.