Targeted for completion by this second quarter of 2021, the P1.46 Billion new Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge can accommodate 50,000 vehicles daily and cut travel time between cities of Mandaluyong and Makati to 12 minutes.
This bridge would connect Estrella Street at Makati side to Barangka Drive at Mandaluyong side and help decongest EDSA of traffic as it can serve as an alternate route for motorists.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is focused not only on civil works progress of Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge Project but also on maintaining a healthy and safe workplace operation.
DPWH Secretary Mark A. Villar said, “that at 86 percent and with just a few more days to fully complete the new Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge, we are mindful that a single case of COVID-19 in the project can lead to an interruption, if not total work stoppage”
Secretary Villar has recently issued a revised guidelines contained in Department Order #30 for the implementation of infrastructure allowed projects, both public and private, during the public health crisis under ECQ, MECQ, GCQ and MGCQ.
“Although the bridge project is being rushed for completion in June 2021, it is critical that construction firms be proactive rather than reactive in dealing with the increased risk of illness from COVID-19,” Secretary Villar added.
Undersecretary for Unified Project Management Office (UPMO) Operations Emil K. Sadain together with UPMO Roads Management Cluster 1 Project Manager Benjamin Bautista checked on Monday, April 5, 2021 the physical progress of the bridge project and compliance of contractor to protocols that covers prevention, detection, and rapid response to maintain construction work continuity as workers who have been living/confined in the on-site or off-site barracks resume work after the Lenten break.
“Let’s get to work healthy to get the job done”, Undersecretary Sadain reminded the contractor China Road and Bridge Corporation citing the current health situation particularly in the NCR Plus bubble.
In his report to Secretary Villar, Undersecretary Sadain said that project progress of 86 percent is more than 12 percent ahead having completed all bridge substructure works for abutments A & B at both sides and piers of Makati approach bridge; the V-shaped piers for the Main Bridge; concrete box girder for the approach bridge; 20 segments of prestressed concrete box girder for the main bridge using form traveler system; and two (2) segments of prestressed concrete box girder using conventional method.
Bridge construction activities are now on post-tensioning and grouting works; formworks and rebar installation for the closure section in the side spans; formworks installation for the 2-meter closure section in the main bridge span; and preparatory works for approach road construction in both sides.
A China-grant project implemented by the DPWH UPMO – Roads Management Cluster 1 (Bilateral), the new 506-linear meter bridge will have 21.65 meters width capable four (4) lanes from previously two (2) along with 3-meter sidewalks on both sides.
Stay updated with news and information from the DPWH by visiting their website at dpwh.gov.ph.